Tuesday, September 18, 2012

baby #3: three months pregnant

Dear Little One,

Well, we made it through the first trimester. Phew! That was a doozy. Since my last update, it's basically been four weeks of feeling awful. The hormone surge from weeks six through eleven (or so) made for some raging pregnancy symptoms and exacerbated colitis symptoms. I felt so, so sick. There were several days when I really feared for my health and for yours. My doctors were talking about putting me back on the dreaded prednisone. But, praise God, my body seems to be pulling out of the worst of it. I'm nowhere near where I'd like to be, but I'm up and about and feeing much better!

So, symptoms: I start and finish most days with a headache. Nausea (still no barfing, but several close calls that involved spitting over and over into the kitchen sink). Insomnia, wakefulness, tossing & turning at night, multiple bathroom trips. Bleeding gums. Heartburn. Thankful for my tea sampler that provides almost immediate relief in the case of horrible nausea (ginger-mint tea) or heartburn (mint-chamomile). Also, I'd like to take a moment to thank my extensive pregnancy supporting cast: bananas, ginger ale, homemade soup, smartwater, hot baths, steamy showers, heating pad, & nap time.

I now sport a little baby bump. Your big sister is on bump patrol and every day reports that the belly is getting bigger! We marvel over your growing size (like a lime of the length of my pinky!) and wonder what you're up to in there. It amazes me that you can be so big yet I don't yet feel you! Looking forward to that in the next few months. :)

I've spent more time than I care to admit watching birth videos on youtube. I'm sort of obsessed. The miracle of birth will forever be something that amazes and delights me. It doesn't scare me at all! Hoping that you come quickly and easily like your older brother. Looking forward to meeting you, learning whether you'll have a full head of hair like your siblings, and delighting in the newborn days.

On Friday I got to hear your heartbeat again, a steady 160 beats per minute (which, if you follow old wives tales, points more toward a girl). Music to my ears! Good to know you are growing away in there, strong heart and developing body. Until next time, sweet baby.

Much Love,

Mama

No comments: