Tuesday, April 29, 2008

wonder


Everything is a wonder these days, from the little bugs to the petals of this poppy, from puddles to popsicle sticks, from kitties to birdies. The world is Madeleine's playground, and she makes the most of every opportunity to learn, create and explore. 

I don't think a day has gone by in the past few weeks that I haven't thanked God aloud for the wonder that is my little Maddie. She is so snuggly and sweet and delightfully conversational, wanting to include me in all her thoughts and adventures and musings. I find myself praying that we always have a close relationship characterized by shared words, inside jokes, and a knowing glance. 

When I found out I was having a girl I was so excited to know that I would be able to do the fun things with Maddie that I enjoyed with my mom growing up: shopping dates, talks in the kitchen, a love for the beach, chocolate for special treats. When Ben asked me the other day my idea of a perfect Mother's Day, I didn't really know what to say. Every day feels like such a gift, and I mean this most seriously, even those days when I am burned out and tired and just ready for 7:00. For so long we waited for Madeleine Noelle, and for so long I cried out to my Lord to hear my prayers and grant my desire for a child. Only his perfect timing, his perfect ways could grant such a perfect child. 

So it is with my own wonder that I wait upon the Lord now: what does my future hold? Another child, created with the best of God's imaginative power? I can only hope for such a blessing twice in this life. My perfect Mother's Day? Getting to watch my baby explore her world. Sharing a special treat. Seeing Maddie twirl around in one of her sundresses. Spending time with my family. 

No comments: