Thursday, December 13, 2012

Sam: 45 Months

Dear Sam,

A few days ago you turned 45 months, just 3 months shy of four years old. And what an interesting month it's been. At the start, we were still struggling through some major behavioral issues with you. Lots of pushing boundaries. Lots of sassy talk. Lots of crazy naughty impulse control things like "water skating" on your pee in the bathroom. (Yeah, can't forget things like that.) By the end of the month, you had completely potty-trained yourself and seemed back to your normal, happy, easygoing personality. Can I just say, PRAISE JESUS!!!


I mean, I'm your mother. I honestly love you, no matter what. But it is so nice to have my sweet, snuggly, mostly agreeable little guy back. You make life so fun and funny when you're not up to crazy shenanigans. And my stomach and sense of smell thank you for finally taking charge of your body and putting all those poops in the potty. We are SO proud of you.

These days you're enjoying building things out of blocks (your teachers call your architecture skills "quite advanced), playing with your new legos (prize for putting all your pee-pees and poos in the potty!), talking up a storm, playing dress-up, and following your big sister.


Every day you prefer to wear the least amount of clothing possible. Nudey is your preference, though we won't post any of those photos here. Suffice it to say, you are expressing yourself in your clothing choices (or lack thereof) these days. If you're not going to school, your outfit of the day is usually shorts, a short-sleeved shirt, and your "army man" (camouflage) snow boots. You love those boots, and wear them any day you don't have school. Unfortunately, they smell like sweaty feet. Yeah.


This week we went to the beach, where you promptly removed your shirt, and then later, your shorts. I hesitated on whether or not to bring a beach towel, eventually leaving it behind, thinking "it's way too cold to go in the water." When, oh when, will I ever learn? The first thing you and your sister did was run straight for a pool of water, right in, up to your mid-thighs, plunging arms deep down to find shells. 


We enjoyed watching you sprint across the sand, those long skinny legs carrying you just as fast as fast can be. You are SUCH a big boy, Sam, and it kills me on a daily basis to see my baby becoming a boy. Your attitude, your abilities, your sentences, your knock-knock jokes, your singing--they all point to the fact that you're growing up. As much as I'd love to keep you small enough to scoop into my arms, I know that those days are numbered.


Every day that we take Maddie to school, when the bell rings I can count on you to call out, "Maddie! Wait! Hug! Kiss!" and she'll come running toward your beckoning call, arms outstretched. I love seeing the two of you so openly affectionate on the playground. This morning I was lucky enough to have my camera handy to grab a snapshot. One day you won't be so open with your love for each other, so I have to document it:


Another highlight of the month for me was finally getting on video one of my all-time favorite phrases: "Mama, you the best Mama in the whole world, ever, Mama." It simultaneously melts my heart and grieves me that you won't always say it, just that way. So I now have it saved for posterity. And blackmail. Just kidding. You are such a loving, affectionate, sweet boy and I never want to forget how you found the perfect way, your own words, to communicate your love to me. Thank you for teaching me the power and joy of a few words, placed lovingly together. We love you, our sweet, funny, sneaky, nudey-loving, castle-constructing, big, big boy.

Love,

Mama

No comments: