Monday, November 19, 2012

Remicade part 3: Thanksgiving, treasures & joy

In the past week, I've teared up multiple times when thinking about all I'm thankful for this Thanksgiving. I could barely get through sharing with some folks at church that I was thankful for my health (sob), and the perfectly formed baby in my womb (tears, sob, choke). I have SO MUCH to be grateful for this year. I mean, honestly, only Jesus--only my savior--could take me from an unconscious, horribly sick wreck to joy-filled, pregnant, and healthy in eight months. 

Today I was driving home from a remicade infusion and I heard a story on the radio about an anonymous donor who left a piece of art at a Federal Way Goodwill. The staff thought it trash,"across the board they thought it was ugly." (from cnn.com) They wondered why anyone would want it.

But one employee, someone familiar with art, recognized the artist's name, Salvador Dali, and was curious about the attached letter of authenticity. She did some research, and looked more deeply into this piece of art that others were quick to discard. And it seemed, actually, to be of value. Great value. An authentic, signed, Salvador Dali etching. Crazy.

It reminded me of a few stories in the Bible. Jesus himself likens the kingdom of God (following Jesus, living out his ways here on earth) to a treasure hidden in a field. The world sees only an empty field; yet one man saw potential, dug deep, and found a treasure of incomparable value. He sold everything he had in order to purchase the field, knowing the great value beneath the surface. (Luke 13).

God sent his son, the Messiah, to the world. It wasn't what anyone expected. He wasn't a handsome, strong, powerful man born into a kingly position. Isaiah 53:2 prophesied that Jesus "had no form or majesty that we should look at him, and no beauty that we should desire him." The Bible tells us he was born to a poor, unwed virgin. In a stable. He worked as a carpenter under his father. He wasn't anything special according the world's values. And yet, and yet...

I know that some of you who read this blog read skim my illuminations, my wordy posts about faith and Jesus and his love. It's easy to disregard something that seems to be total junk. But it is my hope, my prayer that like the employee at Goodwill who looked into things a little more, like the man in the story from Luke 13 who digs deep into a field, in search of treasure, that you might do a little of your own research. 

I believe that our God, Jesus himself, desires to reveal truth and make himself known. I trust that if you dig deep, if you do the research, if you look at the life of this simple yet perfect man, you'll find something incredibly valuable. Of greatest value. (If you have any questions about where to start, I'm happy to give you some starting places).

This Thanksgiving, I'm thankful for my savior. He's not just saved my soul, but he saved my life this year. He's given our family new life in the baby that dances in my womb. He's restored my health (than the Lord for modern medicine!) He's restored my hope in his people and his church, not because we are perfect, but because he perfectly loves us, wants to be known, and wants us to dig deep into who he is. He is a treasure that will not disappoint.

2 comments:

mel @ the larson lingo said...

Amen! Beautiful post, Becky. So thankful God has put YOU in my life!

Camilo and Cindy Blanco said...

Becky, I am thankful for you. Thank you for opening your heart to the world through your honest words. I'm praying for you and baby :)