Saturday, May 09, 2009

Happy Mama Day II

Dear Maddie and Samuel,

My sweet babes, how lucky am I to be your mama?! Each day you surprise me with your cuteness, naughtiness, love and laughter. Each night I go to sleep exhausted, yet my heart full.


Maddie, you amaze me with your gentle love for your brother. You have nothing but kisses and snuggles and soft words for him. You repeat what you hear from us, calling him "little buddy," "sweet little boy," and "bud bud." It is too cute. Yet you are a toddler, all knees and elbows, and we are constantly running his defense in order to protect him from your exaggerated hugs and energetic snuggles. 

You will turn to me at random points in the day to say "I love you, Mama." (These days, though, it sounds more like "Muh-Mawh," as you have taken to a funny voice that sounds perpetually needy.) It was you who made me a Mama (Muh-Mawh), who 28 months ago burst open my heart with such great love and passion and emotion. And though you grow heavy in my arms with each passing day, you will always be my baby girl.


And Samuel, you are delightfully sweet and gentle and altogether kissable. Last night after you finished nursing, you were in that space between awake and sleep, eyes open but totally still. I couldn't stop kissing your soft cheeks, unable to put you down. I was a mother before you were born, but you have softened and expanded my heart in new and unimaginable ways.


The two of you are quite a pair, spicy and sweet, like a well-balanced thai dish. You make me laugh harder than I've ever laughed and cry more tears than I've ever cried. My heart beats for you, breaks for you, and I promise that as long as you'll allow, this heart is yours.


Not a day goes by that I don't say a prayer of thanksgiving to our heavenly Father for allowing me to be a Mama to you two. I love you so much!

Love,

Mama

2 comments:

The Ulrickson Fam said...

Oh, the cuteness. The hammock with Maddie working the totally fierce pose- I'm thinking it might be the cutest pic of them yet. Love it! Superman shirt to boot. Have a wonderful day!

mel @ the larson lingo said...

what a beautiful letter. And, I agree...that hammock picture is perfect...they are both looking at the camera. That is a framer :)