Wednesday, May 06, 2009

2 Months: Samuel

Dear Little Buddy, Milk Man, Sweet Pea, Lovey Beans,

Can you be two months already?! It seems like just yesterday you were lifted out onto my chest, looking out with those wide-open eyes, taking in your new world. Now you smile, coo, track your sister's movements and interact with your environment.
You've officially gone from a newborn to a baby. No longer do I see spindly arms and chicken legs but in their places rubber band wrists and delightfully delicious thunder thighs. After eating, your belly swells like a buddha and when you add to that some of the softest, roundest cheeks ever, and you hardly resemble the long, thin baby who left my body just eight and a half weeks ago. According to our scale you are up to fourteen pounds, which is what your sister weighed at twice your age.                                                         
Along with the weight gain has come the blessed ability to sleep longer than three to four hours at a time. You've clocked many six-hour stretches and a handful of those amazing eight hours of uninterrupted sleep. I thank you. As does my mind, my body, and my entire circle of influence, all of whom are benefitting from your Mama's re-entry into wakeful life. Everybody told me I couldn't have two sleepers, but once again genetics has given me the benefit of their doubt, and I revel in it.
Now you are smiling with regularity, and when your whole face is involved, your nose crinkles up. It gives me tingles every time. You are the handsomest boy I've laid eyes on, and I cherish our moments on the couch, eyes locked, communicating in your newly discovered language of "geeee," "iiiii," and "ah goo." 
I love to hold you, yet it seems like every time you finish nursing I'm off to diaper duty, snack duty, or attending to some other Mama need that whisks me away from you all too soon. Thankfully you love your swing and are content to lay and watch the world move around you. In the evenings after the family is fed, the kitchen cleaned, and your sister fast asleep, I will gather you up in my arms to hold for just a few more minutes before bed. Each time I say to you, "I just miss you when you're not in my arms," and it is always true.
Thank you for rounding out our family. Thank you for being a sweet and gentle and completely mellow little man who delights us each day. Thank you for enduring the nearly nonstop kissing coming from any three of your enraptured family members. Most of all, thanks to God for giving us you, perfect child, to watch over and raise and disciple and enjoy. We couldn't be more in love.
Love,
Your Mama

2 comments:

mel @ the larson lingo said...

Happy 2 months Samuel! What a handsome little guy!

bonnieb said...

There isn't a way to assure a mother that there will be room in your heart for number two. Samuel made your heart expand beyond your imagination through the gift of God. I will praise Him for doing it again. He is so good.