Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Evan: One Month Old!

Dear Evan Michael,

This is your first official monthly update (and only 9 days late!) I hope I can manage to keep up with three updates each month. They might be late, less wordy and more photo-heavy, but I plan to continue savoring the ups and downs of each new month in the lives of my littles.

So, one month....


Likes: the boobies, Mama, napping in Mama's arms, baby-wearing, co-sleeping

Dislikes: being cold, waiting, the car seat (oh the torturous car seat!)


I could start an art exhibit of sleeping photographs. It seems I have hundreds on my phone. You love to sleep, and you sleep soundest in my arms, nestled against my chest, or tucked in the crook of my arm. If I lay down with you in the big bed, you'll stay for a nap if I get up. If I try to lay you down by yourself, you don't last long.

Your cry goes from 0 to 60 in no time. One second you'll be fine and the next your face is as red as a tomato and you are holding-your-breath-mad-mad-MAD. Thankfully you calm down quickly but those cries make my heart break in two!


You have an awesome head of hair that is fluffy and soft and sticks up in the back after a bath. It is getting lighter and lighter with each passing week. Your gray eyes are looking more and more blue these days but we're still waiting on the final verdict. 

After an initial few weeks of trouble gaining weight, I'm happy (and so relieved) that you don't seem to be having any more difficulties, to the tune of nearly an ounce a day of weight gain for weeks 4 and 5. You are growing but still itty bitty. At one month you still fit in newborn clothes, though there are 3 mo. styles in regular rotation as well. You are still using newborn diapers, too. 


Knowing you are my last baby makes me appreciate all these little moments. Though having a new baby (not to mention a third child) is SO MUCH work, I keep reminding myself to savor the moments because they go by so fast. I can hardly remember Maddie's newborn days and even less from Sam's. I'm not sure I'll remember much from these early weeks either, but I'll try to enjoy them for the present time.

Other than hating your carseat, you are a pretty easygoing little guy, especially if being held. So we hold you. We treasure these moments. It is a joy to hold you close and admire your long hair, eyelashes, fingernails, and long feet. Though you love to sit and linger while nursing, I take the time to appreciate little kneading fingers at my side, contented little sighs, funny frustrated grunts and the always-present hunger snorts.

We're so glad you've joined our family, littlest love. What a honey you are. Welcome to one month, Evan.

Love,

Mama

4 comments:

rebecca said...

Love. So precious.

Sarah said...

such a beautiful baby!

Becky said...

Thanks ladies! We sure do like him! :)

mel @ the larson lingo said...

I LOVE those photos of him!!!!!!