Monday, January 14, 2013

Sam: 46 Months

Dear Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde,

I'm finding it difficult to keep up with your sudden and inexplicable mood changes these days. It boggles the mind how you can go from the sweetest, snuggliest, most agreeable boy to hell-on-wheels in the blink of an eye. One minute you're saying, "Suuuure, Mama," when I ask you to do something. The next minute you're standing on your chair, turning your booty toward the table, and pretending to pass gas as a response to a question. Ergh. Not a fan.


Though in the midst of all the naughtiness, you do have some shining moments. Watching you on the tubing hill with your Dad and sister this month was quite fun. At first you were "so scared" to try it out, preferring instead to hang out with Mama at the top of the hill and watch. But eventually you worked up your courage (with a little help from Daddy) and soon you were tubing and laughing and trudging up that hill like all the big kids. Your favorite part might have been attempting to make your way through the super deep drifts around the trees. Daddy had to rescue you, eventually, and he nearly got stuck!


On the beach last week you enjoyed collecting "treasure for decorating" the sandcastles, carefully selecting kelp and sticks along the water. Eventually we had to take off your pants, yet again, after you braved the freezing Pacific to fill up your watering can. You're just about as happy as can be when you're outside with a bucket of water and open territory to explore. 


You're pretty much a clown who loves to make others laugh, both at appropriate and entirely inappropriate times. You are full of crazy ideas, funny quips, and you love to sing songs over and over and over. "Oompa Loompa Doompa-dee-doo, I have another puzzle for you!" It's fun to hear you master more and more difficult phrases. I think this is one of the reasons you sing so much, as it helps you work those sentences out! 


One of my most favorite moments of the past month was our first night at Uncle Frank's. Tyler and Frank serenaded us with praise music and Clapton, the girls danced themselves silly, and eventually you crawled right up in my lap, into your "robot man home" of pillows, and fell asleep. As I watched the girls I love twirling and laughing, one baby boy bouncing and grooving in my belly, my big boy snuggled up, breathing peacefully against my belly, it was like perfection. All the love in the world was right there, right at arm's reach, and I was at peace. I'm so glad you'll still fall asleep in my arms.

I love you, my crazy, wonderful, silly, naughty, sneaky, cuddly boy!

Love,

Mama

No comments: