Tuesday, June 08, 2010

help for the Congo

A few months ago, I decided to start training for a 10K. For some reason, the reality of turning 32 this year, coupled with my on-again, off-again health issues with colitis, plus a desire to live long and be healthy not only for myself, but my children, encouraged me to start running again. I've always had a love-hate relationship with running; love the results, hate the pain. Yet I enjoy running more and more as I get better. I love exercising outside, I love listening to praise music or podcasts, and I love the endorphin rush.

I needed a goal. Partway through my training, I decided to undertake a simple 5K to encourage me to keep running. I did some research and one run really stood out to me: Run for Congo Women.

I'm asking for help. It's not widely known that more than 5.4 million people have died in the conflict in Congo since 1998, and half of these deaths, 2.7 million, were children under the age of five. The situation is pure evil. There is no other way to best explain it. Evil runs rampant. I cannot even read the stories without gasping, sobbing, and wanting to turn away.

I will be running on June 26th in Portland to raise awareness about the Congo and funds for Women for Women Int'l programs there. This program provides women survivors of war with financial assistance, job skills training, awareness education and trauma counseling. In the Congo, more than 31,000 women have been helped by this organization.

If you feel so led, you are welcome to donate funds by visiting my fundraising page at
http://www.active.com/donate/RFCWportland2010/BeckyJoyce

If you want to know more about this awesome opportunity, visit their page at
http://www.runforcongowomen.org/

3 comments:

bonnieb said...

I am thrilled that you are doing this run for such an amazing cause. I applaud you, Becky!

mel @ the larson lingo said...

You are awesome Becky!!! Just donated! Good luck with the run!! So proud of you, what a great cause!

Susan said...

We are so proud of you too! You are going to do great - we donated a little bit to help! I know it is a great cause and I hope the money will help women and children get what they need. Run hard!