Friday, November 15, 2013

Maddie: Months 81 & 82


Dear Maddie,

Dude, you're right around the corner from seven. SEVEN! Ack! I don't even want to think about it. My sweet baby girl is growing and changing and maturing with each passing day. 

For Halloween you were the cutest black cat ever. Add to that the cutest pirate and monkey and you've got a picture that just melts hearts:


You continue to be the BEST big sister EVER and a tremendous help with Evan. You and Sam are not having the easiest time these days, but my goodness, I can't imagine how hard it would be without the attention you give our baby. You are so attentive to his needs and his cries. When something happens, you will pop up and run to his side, scoop him up, and start speaking so sweetly to him. You love to play with Evan and spend countless hours a week making him giggle. He absolutely adores you and looks for you all the time. I'm thankful for all the times you rescue small things from his mouth, keep him from falling over, and prevent him from going places he shouldn't. Thank you, Super Sister!


As much as we weren't surprised at Sam's less-than-agreeable approach to pictures, we anticipated your  total awesomeness. You plopped down in front of that camera, smiled wide, and basically were the perfect model. It cracked me up. For as much work as your two brothers took throughout the shoot, it was as if each time I had to attend to one of their needs, or to their disobedience, I would glance over to see you working it with Becky behind the camera, snapping away and laughing to herself. It was so fun to see your confidence, joy, and natural talent.


But what gave me the most joy this past month was your heart. Oh, my sweet girl, how I love the heart your Heavenly Father has given you. In response to a difficult situation at school, you acted in courage and strength and stood up for a friend to a bully. Your teacher and principal lauded your bravery and I treasured your compassionate heart. 

When you had no one to sit with at the lunch table, everything within my Mama's heart wanted to provide the best solution for you. I wanted to rescue you from loneliness. I wanted to pack treats to share to help you make friends. I wanted to show up at school with sushi and make your day. But, thankfully, the Lord led me to pray for you and with you. And in His divine love and grace, God showed you how good he is by meeting you in your loneliness, showing you he is your truest friend, and made your day just by revealing himself to you. Again I was reminded that my parenting pales in comparison to the real, tangible presence of a God who knows all, sees all, and is in all. Praise to our Father who parents you so well and allows me to be a witness to it all!!

Madeleine (as you prefer to be called these days), I am in awe of the girl you are becoming. Even when you are sassy and struggle to control your tongue, I still rejoice in your growing and maturing. I know you will test things out at home that you hear at school. Though it is hard, I have seen enough instances in which your heart shines through the ickiness. The love Christ has put in you, the compassion for other and the joy for life, these things will remain. The sass will pass (or so I keep reminding myself). I love you sweet girl.

Love,

Mama

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

So beautiful! I love these letters you write. They will be a great keepsake forever!